07 Mar How To Move Forward After Being Laid Off
If you’re reading this, chances are you’re going through an emotional career transition, and you’re not alone. More than 102,000 workers in U.S.-based tech companies (or tech companies with a large U.S. workforce) have been laid off in mass job cuts so far in 2023, according to a Crunchbase News tally. That number includes Poshmark’s recent undisclosed layoff following an acquisition and Ericsson’s 8,500-person workforce cut.
Many people are facing challenges right now that they never expected. It can feel overwhelming but, as a Career Coach, I’m here to tell you that despite everything that is going on right now, you CAN make a smooth transition AND advance your career!
First and foremost, I want to acknowledge the emotional toll that a layoff can take on you. It’s normal to feel scared, uncertain, and even angry. We grieve what we have lost – our job, our friends, our routines. It is ok to feel the loss but, it’s important to remember that you’re not defined by your job title or your current situation. You are capable of so much more, and this is just a temporary setback.
It’s essential to be brave and persevere. This is a time when you must stay true to yourself and your values. Don’t let this situation define you or make you doubt your worth. No part of this was your fault. Instead, focus on your strengths, skills, and experience, and start thinking about how you can use them to your advantage.
One thing to remember during a career transition is that you can’t “do life” the same way anymore. It’s time to look to the next chapter in your story. Start by re-evaluating your career goals and priorities. Ask yourself what you want to achieve, what motivates you, and what brings you joy. Use this time to explore new career paths, learn new skills, and network with like-minded professionals.
Here are five actionable steps that you can take to help you look to the future and move forward after being laid off:
- Re-evaluate your career goals and priorities: Take some time to reflect on your career goals and assess whether they are still aligned with your priorities. Identify what motivates you and brings you joy, and consider how you can incorporate these elements into your career and life going forward.
- Assess your skills and experience: Evaluate your existing skillset and identify any gaps that may prevent you from reaching your career goals. This is also an excellent opportunity to consider expanding your skillset by learning new skills, taking courses, or pursuing certifications.
- Explore new career paths: Use this time to explore new career paths that align with your interests, values, and skillset. Research different industries and job roles to identify potential opportunities and find out what qualifications or experience you need to pursue them.
- Network with like-minded professionals: Connect with other professionals in your industry or career field. Attend networking events, join professional organizations, and participate in online forums to expand your network and gain insights into your desired career path.
- Develop your personal brand: Consider developing your personal brand to showcase your skills, experience, and accomplishments. Update your resume, optimize your LinkedIn profile, and create a professional online presence to increase your visibility to potential employers.
A career transition is a journey that requires patience, persistence, and a positive mindset; it is not an overnight process. Embrace the opportunity to explore new possibilities, learn new skills, and grow both personally and professionally. With dedication and hard work, you can make a smooth transition and advance your career.
As a Career Coach, I’m here to help you navigate this journey. Whether it’s creating a winning resume, mastering the art of networking, or developing your personal brand, I’m here to guide you every step of the way.
If you are seeking the guidance and support you need to make a positive change in your career then I am here to support you. Schedule a free discovery call with me today so I can be your coach and support system in helping you transition to a more rewarding career and life.
Contact me today if you would like to get started.
Thank you for reading, and I wish you all the best on your career journey!